The key to success with content marketing isn't esoteric or nouveau just because it's on the internet. Regardless of whether you're marketing online, in print or face-to-face, success remains rooted in basic marketing principles. One such principle is that if you want more buzz around your business you need to ask for it.
Have you created highly educational, inspirational content? Want people to "like" or share your photo on Facebook, or retweet your brilliant quip on Twitter? Once you create quality content, all you have to do is ask. Then you have to make the desired action clear and easy for people to implement. Yep, it's that simple. Below are the six best ways to ask for the distribution of your content. You'll see how just asking can catapult your online marketing efforts.
1. Get people to comment on your blog and share that comment with others: At the end of each blog post ask a thought provoking question, or ask if anyone has stories to share relating to your topic. Follow it up with something like, "Love to hear your thoughts. Please comment below."
People love giving their opinions and talking about themselves. I end every blog post this way.
Want those comments that keep rolling in to get shared on Facebook? Use the Facebook Comments Box. You can get the plug-in here: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/comments/
Another helpful hint: You can also increase your social following by saying something like, “If you enjoyed this post and want more, please follow us on Twitter or become a fan on Facebook.” This makes for more people that are available to share your stuff.
2. Use the Facebook Ask Question feature with poll options to ask a question that people are likely to engage with and share: This Facebook posting feature is often overlooked. If the question is compelling enough people will ask their friends, thus sharing your content for you. Invite people to add poll options in your post.
3. Ask people to "like" your Facebook posts directly and you'll be amazed by how many do: Post a gorgeous or intriguing photo - people love pics - and then say something like, "Click 'like' if you dig this!" I've gotten over 350 likes this way, meaning that all of the friends of the people that "liked" the pic got to see the post. You can also just ask them to share it with their buddies: "Click share to spread the love to your buddies!"
4. Ask to people to retweet at the end of a tweet: Tweet something that gets people pumped and then say something like, "if you agree, retweet!"
5. Get people to tweet compelling quotes from your blog posts: Write something that's quotable - especially for people in your industry - and then use Click to Tweet so your visitors can do just that.
6. Invite people to forward your newsletter to a friend: Saying something such as, "You're more than welcome to share the information in this newsletter with a friend, and if you think they might benefit from future offers, webinars and blog posts make sure they sign up for my email list at _______."
How will you ask people to share your web content? Have you already had successes with asking? Do share. Please comment below.
By Sabrina Gaffney
From blogging to bios, freelance website copywriter Sabrina Gaffney, offers a powerful profusion of copywriting tips that bring in the moola! Connect on LinkedIn.
Subscribe to the Copy to Cash Blog